The Supreme Court (SC) has disqualified a municipal mayor in Lanao del Norte for being an American citizen.
In a recent decision penned by Associate Justice Mariano del Castillo, the high court affirmed the December 2013 ruling of the Commission on Elections (Comelec) disqualifying Kauswagan Mayor Rommel Arnado in the 2013 elections.
The high court said Arnado continued using his American passport even after renouncing his US citizenship in 2009 to run for mayor in 2010.
It dismissed Arnado’s petition and lifted the status quo ante order it earlier issued to stop the Comelec order.
In its ruling, the SC said “only natural-born Filipinos who owe total and undivided allegiance to the country could run for and hold elective posts.”
The SC allowed Arnado’s rival, Florante Capitan, to assume the post, although there are only nine months left in the term.
SUGGESTED ARTICLES THAT YOU MAY LIKE :
About The Editor-In-Chief of Think Philippines!
- Managing Partner at Princeton Business Initiative
- Lead Convenor of Isang Samahan, Isang Pilipinas (ISIP) and Think Philippines!
- Agency Manager at Fortune CARE Health Maintenance Organization (HMO)
- Financial Wealth Planner at FWD Life Philippines
- Financial Investment Advisor at Rampver Strategic Advisors
(+63) 927 646 0088 WhatsApp/Viber/Philippine Mobile Number
To post articles here at Think Philippines, you may email it to: firstname.lastname@example.org or by simply commenting it on the field provided below.
Thank you for supporting us